Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Top 5 albums of 2006

I'm putting this together a bit early this year because as far as I'm concerned the year is over. So here it is. In no particular order (despite the numbers):

1. The Comb-Overs: Emergency Response

Yes, its not a "real" album. But it still is better than the vast majority of music that "real" bands put out this year. Plus, its one guy. Even more amazing.

2. Mogwai - Soundtrack for Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

This is more Mogwai than Mr. Beast. That's why it's here and the other one isn't. Plus, Mr. Beast really isn't that good.

3. AFX - Chosen Lords

Yea, it's a collection of songs from 2005. But it was realized in 2006. And since it is a "best of" for 12 albums, it whittles it down to the finest of the entire Analords set. It is a bit discongruent because of this, but, hey, it's IDM; it isn't really that coherent to begin with. "Reunion 2" is still my favorite song of the bunch.

4. The Appleseed Cast - Peregrine

I want to start by saying that I am very glad that this is on this list. I was very very worried when I saw the AC had signed to Militia records, home to low-grade emo of all sorts. I was expecting them to be the next big thing. Etc. etc. But luckily, their album was too ambient for the masses, and was really good too boot. It is much better than Two Conversations, which is a pretty decent compliment in itself. The album is certainly less ambient than the Low Level Owls, but probably moreso than Mare Vitalis. The two are in different veins of ambience, so it is hard to compare them. And that brings me to the point of this entire paragraph. They changed their sound around quite a lot; Peregrine is much more electronic-based than any of their previous albums, but still is distinctively Appleseed Cast. I must admit, I wasn't that fond of it at first, but it grew on me as I listened to it more.
5. The 101 - Numbers

See my joint review with Thom Yorke's The Eraser here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home