Sunday, July 01, 2007

British Terror Plots

I just had to say something, since the media is making such a big fuss over them.

So let's be realistic here: these "car bombs" are downright comical. The first two were just jugs of gasoline with a cell phone stuck in with them. Nobody told the builders that they needed some plastic explosive or something to hook the cell phone up to so that it would blow the gas cans. I mean, even I know that. As for the flaming car of doom that rammed into Glasgow's airport: what. I mean, did they really expect setting themselves on fire and driving into a building would do anything? Maybe they were so desperate to do something right that they thought that was worth a try. Personally, if I was a counter-terrorism official, I hope everybody out there is like these guys. It would sure make my job easier.

And as for the oft-alleged al-Qaeda link, I think we need to be realistic here as well. Al-Qaeda is a group of professional killers, as they have demonstrated over the past ten years. I cannot imagine them having anything more to do with this group of fruitcakes then those ninja-terrorists they found in Orlando a few years ago.

I'm not saying the threat is gone, but that, once again, we've managed to overblow a minor event (like the liquids they confiscate off of planes now) and make it a huge deal. They interviewed a bunch of tourists in the US tonight on the news, and all the ones they talked to were oh-so-worried about terrorism and were glad to be surrounded by lots of heavily-armed cops. I mean, it could happen here, right? Those gas cans...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home