Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Wallingford American Legion: Rocked.

To those three who were supposed to accompany me but had "more important" engagements: you missed one dope-ass show. Never mind the fact that I have the volume on the music at about twice the normal level, having lost any semblance of hearing hours ago. Or that I spent three hours standing in a room the size of my english class(and 110ºF, 90% humidity, and smelly) with 200 other people. That just adds to the fun.

I got there about 5:45, after escaping a massive jam back on 91, expecting something to happen soon. Instead, me, about 20 people, and four bands stood around until 6:15, when the guy who had the key finally showed up, and then it was about 6:45 before the first band (Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start) started playing. They were quite good, which I wasn't expecting, and they played 7 or so songs and wrapped up at 7:30. After a short breakdown/setup break, in which I bought a ATDI CD from a guy, the next band, Chin Up Chin Up, who also was quite good, started up and played some pretty excellent songs. They were done by 8:30. The next band, Arson, was a lot heavier than the others (and also unannounced on all the billings I saw), which helped really warm the crowd up. They had some very good stuff. Everyone did.

Now it was around 9:30, and the headliner was going to play. Let me first say that when the Appleseed Cast started playing "On Reflection" the place went batshit insane. Here's the set list:

1. On Reflection (mostly instrumental)
2. Steps And Numbers
3. Sunset Drama King
4. something off Two Conversations, I dunno.
5. A Dream For Us
6. A Place In Line
7. something else off TC
8. Forever Longing The Golden Sunsets
9. "Our Crazy Instrumental"

Despite numerous requests from the crowd, they didn't play "Fishing The Sky," which was a shame. Or anything from End of the Ring Wars, which also was requested ("On Sidewalks", :Moment #72" were the requests) And Crisci was feeling sick (likely the disgusting conditions we broiled in), so they played a shorter set than usual. But the songs they did play were absolutely phenomenal. They took the Low Level Owl songs and made them more live-material-like, and assumably did the same with the TC stuff. But most definitely, the highlight of the evening was "Forever Longing The Golden Sunsets." I knew what was coming when I saw Crisci slide the capo on, and at the first note, the crowd lost it. Any sense of self-consciousness had been lost by everyone, and the place just went crazy. I myself had progressed from a barely perceptible head-nod during the first band's set to an all-out headbang now. By the time they got to the outro, the room's temperature had gone up another 10 degrees. It was, simply put, amazing.