Monday, May 16, 2005

Base Closings: Political or No?

Looking at a map of the recent military base closures by state, it appears to be roughly even between red and blue states (this was actually the first thing I looked for when the map popped up on CBS). I myself assumed the White House would not be so brazen as to offer political retribution on such a high-profile topic. However, looking at the numbers (I know, quoting another blog is a little shifty), a different story is told. To simplify it, blue states would lose tens of thousands of jobs, and red states would see a net gain of thousands. Unlike the plan it was presented as, that is, an attempt to shrink the military (which I wholeheartedly support; anything to bring down the deficit), it is more of a reshuffling. And this wouldn't be the first time Bush and/or the Republicans have done something like this.